Monday, November 18, 2013

DIY: Repurpose Your Candle Jars

While this post isn't necessarily about fashion, I had to share! And being that I used my repurposed jar to display my nail polish, it is kinda fashionable! Anyway, there are a few different ways to do this. I chose the freezer method, but you can also use heat for this project. When your candles are burned completely, there will always be a little left over wax. These are the steps I followed to get all the wax out of my candle!
 
 
1. Place candle in freezer and let sit for a couple of hours. The cold temperature will shrink and loosen wax from the sides of the jar.
2. Using a butter knife, carefully stab the wax to break it apart. This step took me the longest!

 
3. You can either throw away the leftover pieces of candle wax or save them to use for another project. I saved mine because I have another DIY in mind!
4. Peel off the labels. Mine came off easily but the bottom was a bit of a struggle. I ran it underwater and used the rough side of a sponge to scrub that one off!

 
5. After removing all of the wax, fill the jar with hot water adding a few drops of dish soap and let it sit.
6. Once water has cooled down enough, empty the jar. The hot water should loosen the glue that holds the metal parts that hold the wick to the jar. (Mine were easy to remove by hand but if not grab a pair of pliers!)
7. Next, wash and scrub the jar inside and out with a sponge to get rid of leftover wax and soot! As you can see from my first picture, mine was VERY dirty. But it was sparkling like new in the end!
8. Rinse out the soapy water and dry your jar using paper towels.

 
9. Once dried, I sprayed my jar and the top with a little bit of Windex to add the finishing touch.
10. And you're done!
 
I also read wax can easily be removed using baby oil or vinegar! Dish Soap and water worked fine for me, but definatley try those out if it doesn't work for you!
 
Cleaning out your candle jars is really easy and if you are always burning candles like me, its great to get some more use out of the jars! I used mine to display nail polishes, but there are a ton of things you can do with them! Some other ideas include storage for Qtips/cotton balls or displaying ornaments for Christmas. You could also pick up some small clear beads or marbles from Michaels to fill the jar and stick in your makeup brushes!

No comments:

Post a Comment